As a Ledger owner, you are probably well aware that the main purpose of a hardware wallet is to keep your cryptocurrencies safe. But did you know that the Ledger Nano S can do much more than just store your Bitcoin?
The Ledger Nano S includes a neat little feature that lets you install additional apps to the device, with new apps being released and updated on a regular basis.
Although most apps simply add cryptocurrency functionality to the device, some of them add additional features that can help you squeeze additional value out of your hardware wallet.
Thankfully, Ledger has made the process of installing new apps on your device a relatively simple process, with the entire process taking just a couple of minutes to complete.
What You Will Need
Make sure to update your “Ledger Live” App from here:
- An already set-up Ledger Nano S hardware wallet
- A compatible computer with Ledger Live installed
- An official Ledger USB cable
Open the Manager Application
- The first thing you’ll need to do is plug your Ledger Nano S into your computer using the official USB cable, and enter your pin to unlock the device.
- Once you have unlocked your device and open the Ledger Live software on your computer before clicking the ‘Open Manager’ button.
- Here, the Ledger Live software will check whether you have unlocked your wallet, and will ask you to Allow Ledger Manager on your device.
- On your Ledger, you’ll then be prompted to Allow Ledger Manager, click the right button once to allow. This should be detected by Ledger Live, which will now redirect to the Manager dashboard.
Select Your Applications
- Within the manager dashboard, you’ll be presented with a large list of apps available for your device. These range from simple wallet apps such as the Bitcoin Private and Monero apps, to two-factor authentication app Fido U2F and more.
- Simply browse this list, or search for your desired app using the search bar, before clicking the install button to begin the installation process. This should take no more than 30 seconds to complete.
Access Your New Apps
- After your apps have been installed via the app manager, you’ll be able to access them through the home menu on your device after entering your pin.
- Use the left and right buttons to scroll through the home menu on your device until you find the app you want to use, and click both buttons at the same time to activate it.
- Within the app, you’ll be able to use the left and right buttons to navigate, and will be able to exit back to the home menu by scrolling to the ‘Quit app’ option, and press both buttons to confirm.
What to Watch out For
Note that due to the size of some of these apps, it’s likely that you’ll only be able to fit 4 or 5 of them on your device, so be sure to choose the ones you’re most likely to use regularly as removing and installing new apps can be an unnecessary hassle.
If you do find yourself needing to uninstall an app to make space for more, you can simply head back to the Ledger Live software, where you’ll be able to click the trash icon next to the app in question, permanently removing it from your device.
Still looking to do even more with your device? Why not check out our upcoming post on using your Ledger to manage your passwords?