Just got your hands on that shiny new Ledger Nano S hardware wallet, but not quite sure how to get started? Well, first off, congratulations on taking the step to properly secure your Bitcoins, and secondly, we’re here to help!
If you haven’t yet purchased a Ledger Nano S, we recommend only buying from the official Ledger store or one of the authorized retailers listed on the website. As of yet, there are no known methods to compromise an original Ledger wallet after it has been set up, but there are some cases where second-hand wallets ship with a pre-filled recovery sheet, so be sure to purchase only a brand new unit.
The entire set-up process should take less than five minutes, and once complete, shouldn’t need to be performed again unless you reset your device:
What You’ll Need
Make sure to update your “Ledger Live” App from here:
- A Ledger Nano S device
- An official Ledger USB cable
- A Mac OS, Windows, Linux, Android or iOS device
- Now that you’ve got your hands on your Ledger wallet, it’s time to unbox it. Within the box, you’ll find two major parts needed to get started securing your funds. The first is the Ledger wallet itself, and the second is the supplied USB cable.
- To begin, you’ll need to install Ledger Live on your computer. To do this, simply head over to the Ledger Live download page and select the operating system you intend to use with your Ledger device, and download Ledger Live.
3. After downloading Ledger Live, install the software on your computer or mobile device. The next few setup steps will take place directly on your Ledger device, with Ledger Live only being needed again after setup has finished.
4. Plug your Ledger Nano S into your computer using the supplied USB cable. When you plug in your device for the first time, you’ll be presented with the welcome screen, and will be prompted to begin the setup process by pressing both buttons at the same time.
5. After pressing both buttons, you will be asked to configure as a new device, click the right button to accept, and you will then be required to choose a PIN code. Press both buttons again to move to the PIN code setup step.
6. In this step, you’ll be able to use the left and right buttons to select each number in your pin code, once you have chosen a number, click both buttons to move on to the next. Your password will need to be 8 digits long and should be something that only you know.
7. Once you have entered your PIN code, you’ll be required to confirm this by entering it again. Press both buttons to proceed, use the left and right buttons to re-enter the PIN, and click both buttons to confirm this.
8. After your PIN code has been confirmed, you’ll be asked to write down your recovery phrase. Click both buttons again to generate your 24-word recovery phrase.
9. Now, you will need to write down these 24 words one-by-one in the correct order on the supplied recovery sheet, or in a safe location. You will need this recovery phrase if you want to recover your wallet at a later date.
10. Once you have written down this phrase, you will be asked to confirm it again, by selecting the words one at a time from a list of options using the left and right buttons.
11. After you have confirmed your recovery phrase, your device should display the “Your device is now ready” text, you will then be able to access the Ledger menu by press both buttons at once.
Your Ledger device is now completely ready to use, and you will be able to begin installing apps using the Ledger Live software mentioned previously.